Egg, Chorizo and Tomato Breakfast Muffins
Makes 12 muffins.
12 oz. Pork Chorizo
1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
1 Tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper
1 Large Tomato, Diced
2 Green Onions, Sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line your muffin pan. I use silicone liners.
2. Heat a skillet and empty the chorizo into the pan, removing the casing. Let it brown up, making sure to break it up so it cooks evenly.
3. While the chorizo is cooking, crack 9 of your eggs into a large measuring cup or bowl. I used a large measuring cup since it has a spout and I'll be pouring the eggs into the muffin pan. Add the garlic powder, salt and pepper to the eggs and beat with a fork until combined.
4. Once your chorizo is just about done cooking, add the last egg to it and mix until the egg is cooked through. I do it this way so the chorizo has a little binding to it for when I pour it into the muffin pan.
5. Pour just enough of the beaten eggs into the muffin liners to cover the bottom of each. You just want to create a base for your muffins.
6. Pour a spoonful of chorizo next. Right on top of the eggs until it's evenly distributed.
7. Add some of your diced tomatoes.
8. Top with the remaining eggs. I had leftover eggs (I actually used 12 and revised it for the recipe), so don't feel like you have to overfill your liners. They won't rise too much, but they do rise.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the eggs are set when you jiggle the pan.
10. Remove from liners and serve topped with green onions.