This is my caveman's favorite food. Well, one of them for sure. Every week when I meal plan, this is his only request. I don't make it every week, but I try to sneak it in at least once or twice a month.
For this recipe I used V8. I know it's one of those "gray area" foods, but for the sake of time I used it. I might try making my own tomato juice next time and see how that fairs.
2lbs. Cooked Shrimp, Peeled and Tails Removed
2 Medium Tomatoes
1 Medium Red Onion
1 Cilantro Bunch
64oz. V8 Bottled Vegetable Juice
1. If you haven't already, clean up your shrimp and set aside.
2. Peel your cucumbers and dice them up then dump them into whatever you're using to serve your Coctel. I use a big pitcher so that I can easily throw a lid on it and store it in the fridge.
3. Dice up your tomatoes and dump them into your pitcher.
4. Dice up your onion. Dump.
5. Chop up the cilantro and add that as well.
6. Add about half of the V8 to the pitcher and combine all the ingredients. Then add your shrimp and more V8. Mix well so that everything is coated evenly.
7. I usually refrigerate it for a couple hours before serving. Once I'm ready to serve, I dice up the avocado and add it. Give it one last mix.
8. Plate (in a bowl), add a squirt of lime juice and hot sauce, I like a lot of both.
Again, the V8 is totally up to you. You can make your own tomato juice by pureeing tomatoes in a blender, adding lemon and salt and then straining the mixture. Obviously, that's a little more labor intensive so I don't mind using the V8 when we don't eat this every week.