IStuffed Bell Peppers [Turkey Sausage and Cauliflower]
4 Large Green Bell Peppers
1 Head of Cauliflower
2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil, Divided
1 Garlic Clove, Minced
1 Large White Onion, Diced
13 oz. Turkey Sausage
Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper, To Taste
Preheat oven to 375.
1. Grate the head of cauliflower using a cheese grater and set aside.
2. Trim the bottom of the bell pepper so that it's flat and they can stand in the baking dish. Cut the top of the bell pepper off and remove the seeds. Place the bell peppers in a greased baking dish. I greased mine with a little coconut oil.
3. Then take your caps and remove the stem and any membrane. Dice what's left of the caps as well as your onion. I diced mine pretty small.
3. Heat 1 tbsp. coconut oil in a large pan and add your diced pepper caps, white onion and minced garlic clove. Saute until softened and then put the mixture in a separate bowl. We'll be using it soon.
4. Heat your last tbsp. of coconut oil and add your sausage to the pan. Break it apart as it browns.
5. Once the sausage is lightly browned, add your grated cauliflower to the pan. Stir the mixture and saute for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add your green pepper, onion and garlic mixture the the pan and mix evenly. Add salt and pepper and let the mixture heat through. Stirring occasionally.
7. Pack the hallowed peppers with the mixture. I used a spoon.
8. Bake for 40 minutes.
9. Serve hot.
I had some left over mixture so I stuffed some mushrooms that I had in the fridge, but you can easily bake what's left in a small ramekin or anything else you can think to stuff. =]